What is Ransomware?
Ransomware is malicious software that is installed onto your device once it is compromised, that will both take over important files on the device, or the entire device, and request a ransom be paid for the user to regain access. While ransomware isn’t new to the cybercriminals resume, other advances in technology have made it easier to request and receive untraceable payments. Making ransomware a very attractive option for cybercriminals.
- Don’t pay the Ransom!
- If you receive a message on your device indicating that you have been compromised, DISCONNECT your device from the internet so the malicious software isn’t spread.
- Contact Fordham IT and provide them as much information as you can.
- Fordham IT will work with public safety and local law enforcement to help you attempt to recover your files and protect you from future attacks.
- There may be ways without paying to recover the files that are being ransomed.
- BACK UP ALL YOUR IMPORTANT FILES.
- Ransomware is banking on you desperately needing the files they’ve attacked, keeping your files backed up in different locations can reduce the effectiveness of this type of attack on your device.
- Use an external hard drive these have recently become more affordable, and portable.
- Fordham students and employees have access to unlimited storage on Google Drive, this can be used to help free up space on your device.
- For important files backing up on an external device and using encryption would be ideal.
- Prevention is the best medicine.
- Keep your devices and OS up to date.
- Microsoft had sent out a patch that would have protected users from the “WannaCry” Ransomware 8 weeks before many users were hit. Simple and regular updates can keep you safe.
- Use antivirus. Many providers are in the know, and the software will know what to look for.
- It’s important to keep this software up to date as well and to run scans regularly.
Detailed information regarding Ransomware or Malware scams and other IT security topics are available on our IT Security website at: www.secureit.fordham.edu or from our blog at www.itsecurity.blog.fordham.edu
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact IT Customer Care at (718) 817-3999 or via email to: HelpIT@fordham.edu.fyhu